Monday 2 November 2009

Review - Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

Ok now I finally sorted out my month free unlimited movies card, so I decided to start watching movies and reviewing them.

Since today I had just a hour tutorial I decided to watch a movie at the cinema, so I decided to pick....
Film: Cirque du Freak: The Vampires Assistant.

Director: Paul Weitz

Writers: Paul Weitz and Brian Helgeland


Ok this movie looked low budget with actors in the trailer, but it did look like a interesting and unique storyline which convinced me to watch it. I have never been so mistaken in my life when i finally watched it and thought how amazing it was.

Storyline: Ok the storyline was about a circus of freaks coming to town and changing a boy everyday normal life with unexpected twists. The boy called Darren then meets this vampire in the circus act which leads to events where he has to leave his life and become a vampire.

( very interesting storyline and unique, also a very magical and funny storyline as well)
Camera:
Start of the movie there was a good panning shot left to right then vica verser to show the crowd at the funeral scene, this seemed effective.

Actors: Ok not exactly the best of acting seriously, it was really stupid in a lot of scenes though the characters and storyline supported the acting well, which means didn't care about the acting.

Special Effects/Edits/Other: The special effects I really liked, for example the vampire speed was a interesting way to represent it with a purplish color zooming everywhere. I also thought there was a scene which was done really well (Kid talking how all parents want off him is college, job, family, this had a cut for each one showing a preview). This reminded me something that the TV show Scrubs would do with funny cuts.

Watching this movie made me see how important color actually is since throughout the movie I can remember seeing a lot of red hinting danger/warning.
Overall: I really enjoyed this movie and recommend it to people who haven't seen it, very funny at least and interesting storyline
7/10

No comments: